Oscar-Nominated Short Films – Animated (2009)
- French Roast – Hey, be nice to poor people, y’all, ’cause they might be secretly rich or something.
- The Lady and the Reaper (La dama y la muerte) – Sad old ladies who want to die are so hilarious.
- Wallace and Gromit in ‘A Matter of Loaf and Death’ – It’s always good to see Wallace and Gromit. This may be their best yet.
- Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty – This is my pick to win, though I’m sad and afraid that it might not win. Is there some way I could just hug all of Ireland? Someone set that up for me, please.
- Partly Cloudy* – Another perfectly charming Pixar contribution. This isn’t nominated, but it’s okay, since Pixar is going to win Best Animated Feature.
- Runaway* – Canadians are second only to Russians when it comes to disorienting, vaguely sad animation.
- The Kinematograph* – Pretty, but insubstantial. I rather resent blatant manipulation like this, especially when it isn’t actually backed up with a story.
- Logorama – This is either a poignant critique of western culture, or a one-note joke. Either way, it made its point in the first couple of seconds and went on and on from there. 16 minutes, but it feels like a lifetime.