Oscar-Nominated Short Films, Live-Action
- Pentecost – This year’s Irish Children Have a Hard Life entry. It at least has the decency to be brief. Also, Ireland? I make the liturgical jokes around here, back off.
- Raju – If you’ve ever watched a season (any season) of The Amazing Race, you’ve seen the episode where they go somewhere exceptionally poverty-stricken–usually India–and some privileged twit wanders around in a taxi crying about the plight of these poor people, swearing that they’ll do something for poor people as soon as they get home. Germany made a short film out of that episode.
- The Shore – Although Pentecost was Irish, and some poor kid was very put-upon, it wasn’t depressing, so Northern Ireland gave us an uneven comedy that invoked The Troubles and a man with one arm. The lesson: don’t worry about people you’ve offended; they probably don’t remember the situation accurately anyway, and your daughter is being overbearing and whiny.
- Time Freak – Cute, I guess, but I feel like I’ve seen this before. At a porn festival. The porn version was better.
- Tuba Atlantic – This year’s Scandinavians With Daddy Issues. I didn’t think they were going to make it about daddy issues this year, seeing as it’s about a very old man with no children, but then he talked about his father! For all the shit I give Scandinavians for their Freudian issues, this one is my pick to win. As usual, I expect to be wrong.